Saturday 27 April 2013

The Lab 2013

Last night, I was very lucky to be at The Lab, a incredible event from the creators of Taste Festivals bringing together the best chefs from around the world to share exciting new ingredients, flavours and techniques. There was a great buzz about the place, perhaps from the moody dim red lighting, but more likely the anticipation of Monday's news: The World's 50 Best Restaurants.


After a warm 'ciao' and hug from Massimo Bottura, I watched Alex Atala as he finished preparing dishes at the AEG Experiment stage. The food looked stunning, with coconut apple and seaweed brought over from Brazil where his restaurant D.O.M. is located, and an oyster fried in brioche crumbs and served in a little Japanese sauce dish with a soy sauce emulsion, tapioca and roe.

I then went on to try a couple of 'The Dishes'. The mackerel tartare was wonderful: beautifully fresh mackerel well seasoned, with a touch of caviar bringing out the flavour, and combined with crispy bread and beetroot made for a treat.
I really liked the Lukas Pfaff's (of Sartoria) asparagus risotto - it was very creamy but had a slight citrus tang cutting through from the mystery ingredient, Bergamot (which my mum guessed!). The quail's egg melting on top also added an interesting dimension to the dish. Unfortunately it wasn't served very warm, so I didn't have long to savour it!
Roasted rice from Kolkata Street Food was perhaps the best, with sevpuri, mung beans, chickpeas, cucumber and spiced with Indian onion, chili, coriander, lime and tamarind, all combined before me and served in a paper cone.

The highlight of the evening, however, had to be taking part in the 'Noma Flavour Test', for which my mum managed to secure only a single ticket (they went in a flash) which she generously gave to me!

Lars Williams, head of research and development at Noma, talked about the excitement of discovering a new flavour combination, comparing it to an artist discovering a new colour and the ways in which Noma is changing, from re-designing their kitchen to be more dynamic to employing a full-time forager. 

We were lead through several ingredients - Danish-grown seaweed which was dried into a thick crunchy crisp tasted distinctively like soy sauce. There was barley, some fermented and used to flavour potato like a sweet sauce, some colonised by mould which released amylase enzymes and could rapidly age cheese. My favourite were woodland ants (not sure if they were alive) which tasted exceptionally sharp and acidic - I'll be looking out for them in the supermarket (... or not!).


2 comments:

  1. First of all, YOU MET LARS WILLIAMS!!! Oh my word bro! Secondly, keep up the blogging, I just discovered your blog and it's cool. You're crazy lucky to get to go to all these restaurants, festivals, etc. and it's wonderful to be able to read your blog and share in the experience a bit. Rock on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, he was very friendly. I met René too at Noma (Oct 2010) - they do great things with food!
      Thank you for your kind comments. I do plan to keep it up, although I turned 18 earlier this month, so I won't be a teen foodie for much longer!

      Delete