Thursday 15 July 2010

Ukai Sushi

Just been to Ukai (http://www.ukai.co.uk/) Sushi in Soho, for dinner with some friends from when I was a little baby, who now live in Australia. We had a great time, and the food was fantastic!

I started off with some miso ramen and seafood, which was delicious. The prawns were delicately cooked, and I felt slightly embarrassed as I slurped the yummy noodles. I wasn't so sure about the crab (or 'kani') sticks, which I usually snobishly frown upon, but they were, surprisingly, quite tasty!

Then, we had some soft shell crab tempura, which was divine. The batter was crispy, but strangely sweet, which beautifully complemented the soft, and also quite sweet crab.

I also had a salmon, avocado, and unoki mushroom temaki (hand roll), with lots of wasabi - a classic, and tasty piece of sushi. Of course, I also sneaked a spicy tuna hosomaki (roll), while my mum wasn't looking, which unusually wasn't very spicy, but I think this suited it well, and I could appreciate the great flavour of the tuna more.

Finally, the charming waiter, who had an incredible memory (he knew the menu by heart, from the numbers, and remembered all of our dishes), generously gave us a taster of the most amazing sushi roll. It was soft shell crab in a light tempura batter, wrapped in rice and nori (seaweed), and then deep fried again! It sounds odd, but it was actually fantastic, as it gave an extra crispyness to the nori.

A great, enjoyable meal, and I hope to be going back soon, perhaps to their nearer-to-home branch on Lavender Hill!

No comments:

Post a Comment