Friday 16 July 2010

Entrée

I had a great meal at Entrée Restaurant & Bar (http://www.entreebattersea.co.uk/) tonight. It's in a prime spot on Battersea Rise, so the buzz of the road gave an added great atmosphere to the already busy restaurant. The decor was very tasteful, with railing reminiscent of a Parisian balcony, ancient pages from a 1910 French newspaper covering one wall, and a sneaky window to peek into the hectic kitchen!

For an appetiser, we were given some delicious rosemary bread, with a refreshing pea and mint soup. Then, it was difficult choosing from such, a good sounding menu, but I eventually settled on some Pea Arancini, which were little balls of pea risotto. They had a great pea flavour, with a slightly sweet touch, although I couldn't figure out what gave them that, however I found the texture of them slightly too mushy and glutinous. They were also accompanied by guacamole and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar. We often make guacamole at home, and it's one of my favourite dips, and this one was perfect, and also great with the risotto, which is a combination that I wouldn't have considered before. The vinegar (I love vinegar! :D) gave a great tang to the dish.

Following that, I chose the vegetable ravioli and tomato fondue, following the vegetarian trend (although there were some great fish and meat dishes as well). The plate resembled a summery garden, with coriander, pine nuts and sultanas bordering ravioli topped with Parmesan and pea shoots, and a moat of tasty tomato sauce. I found the vegetables slightly bland, and the pasta a bit watery, but the tomato fondue, as it was called, was fantastic. It tasted fresh and tomatoey, and had a great, clean finish. I also liked the pine nut and pea shoot garnish.

And for my dessert, I had tiramisu. This was my favourite course, because it was one of the best tiramisus that I've had. It was light and creamy, with a hint of vanilla, and a subtle taste of chocolate and coffee, whilst not being too boozy!
My mum had a basil panna cotta, which she says was great, but I'm not a great fan of panna cotta myself, so I wouldn't know. I tried it anyway, and the basil taste was delicate and interesting and the accompanying shortbread was delicious, albeit crumbly!

The food was overall really good, and there was a great atmosphere.

2 comments: