Sunday 4 December 2011

Soif

Last week I had a fantastic meal at Soif ("thirsty" in French - they have a good-looking wine list), a new restaurant on Battersea Rise, which is a few minutes walk from Clapham Junction. The place looked very low-key from the outside (so much so that we walked past it at first!), but once inside it had a great atmosphere, with the menu freshly chalked up on the wall, smiling staff, and a busy kitchen.

When I saw bouillabaisse on the menu, I just had to have it. The soup was lovely and rich and full of fishy flavour, just like it should be. It was served with a delicious rouille, crispy croutons, and Gruyère to sprinkle on top, which gave a lovely melted cheese texture. My bowl was absolutely spotless when I'd finished!

For mains, I had a very rustic-looking hake dish. It came with chickpeas, which gave an earthy undertone to the flavour and highlighted that taste in the fish itself. There was also a superb Romesco sauce, which added a wonderful nutty and and slightly garlic finish to a very tasty plate.


I was very impressed with the quality of everything I ate, and also the generous helping and friendly waiters. I'd recommend giving it a visit, even if just to try the bouillabaisse!

They don't get have a website since it only recently opened, but contact details are: 27 Battersea Rise, SW11 1HG. Tel: 0207 223 1112)

2 comments:

  1. How are you?
    Love the blog and pics - drool!!
    Am coming into London and would love suggestions on great places to eat -
    just simple, good food - cheap is good but if it's worth the 'slightly' higher price - will take it too!!!

    thanks for your help
    am eaters of all things YUM and am searching for coffee, bakeries, farmers markets and just food - oh and brunch too!!
    Thanks,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michelle!
    I'm very well thanks, and I'm glad that you like my blog.

    Well London is a great place for good food, full of areas to explore, but I'll give a few highlights, that me and my mum came up with. I'm sure you can get detailed directions if you 'Google' these...

    For a foodie market, I'd recommend checking out Maltby Street Market (off Bermondsey St.) on Saturday morning as a less touristy alternative to Borough Market. If you arrive early (9am!) look out for St John's Bakery with custard doughnuts and other treats. Also great to visit there is Monmouth Coffee and Neal's Yard Dairy (Cheeses).

    Also try Marlybone Market (off Moxen St.), which is close to the best cheese shop: La Fromagerie. There's a cafe to sit down and try the cheeses there.

    Nearby, and a great place for brunch is Peter Gordon's Providores, or you could go to his sister restaurant, Kopapa in the west end.

    The Wolseley is a great place for a glamorous breakfast, or try their new place, Delaunay.

    For good value British, head over to Canteen on the South Bank (near Waterloo), or for a treat you must try Jason Atherton's award-winning Pollen Street Social (see my post June 2011).

    If you liked the sound of Soif, you could also go to their sister restaurant, Terroirs.

    Finally, if you can manage to book way ahead, try to get a table at Dinner (Heston Blumenthal's new restaurant). It's reasonably priced at lunch however bizarre it sounds having "lunch at dinner".

    I hope this helps!
    Theo

    ReplyDelete