Wednesday 11 August 2010

Prince of Wales Pub

I've just spent a fabulous evening at The Prince of Wales Pub in Putney. POW (sounds like it's just come out of a comic!) had a wonderful atmosphere, topped with great food and charming service. Georgio, our Italian waiter, seemed pleased with my choice of Brie de Meaux on crispy bread with homemade half-dried grapes, followed by mozzarella, tomato confit, and basil lasagne. And I was too!

The cheese was delicious, especially as it was half melted, but I found that it slightly over-powered the delicate flavour of it's accompanying grapes.
I thought that the lasagne was also great. It is a very light version of a lasagne, which is an interestiing and clever idea, because the dish can often be too heavy. The combination of soft mozzarella and fresh basil is divine, and as a pasta lover, this was the perfect dish for me. I also couldn't help but try my mum's lobster and triple cooked chips. Beautifully cooked fish and crispy chips - just the way they should be.

I was really looking forward to dessert - a mango paradise. The presentation in all of the dishes was exeptional, especially this very modern looking not-your-average-pub-pudding. It didn't taste quite as amazing as I was hoping, but it was good. I thought that the jelly was especially nice (and the sugary blanket!).

It was, overall, a fantastic meal with a lively atmosphere and happy service. Just a few minutes walk from Putney station, Prince of Wales is a great place to go out for the evening, or if you don't feel like a full meal, then the bar snacks also sound delicious. http://www.princeofwalesputney.co.uk/

1 comment: